About the Position
JOB DESCRIPTION: Business Unit Manager
Direct responsibility for achieving sales and installed base management goals for Werfen products within assigned geographic territory or within the Haemostasis Business Unit. Responsible for managing the P&L for Haemostasis Business Unit. Direct management responsibility for the Marketing Manager, Area Account Managers, Application Specialist Manager and Sales Coordinator within the Haemostasis Business Unit. He/she will be responsible for developing and implementing sales strategy and plans as well as ensuring customer satisfaction via clinical and technical support staff. He or she will provide market intelligence and sales forecasts for haemostasis in the UK. Direct management responsibility of Business Unit expense budget and all assigned Werfen equipment.
- Recruits, hires and trains (or coordinates training for) for Area Account Managers, Marketing Manager, Sales Coordinator and Application Specialists in the Business Unit.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to staff under his/her direction including visiting customers where appropriate
- Provides guidance in the planning and organisation of the work of the direct employees as well as monitors activities and productivity of Area Account Managers, Marketing Manager, Sales Coordinator and Application Specialists
- Constantly makes sure his/her team is adequate to achieve company objectives and perform assigned duties and responsibilities, both in terms of number and capabilities
- Uses market data and company know-how (i.e. CRM) to help segment the market and define appropriate sales targets and strategies
- Implements sales plans, deploys field staff in order to optimize the maintenance of current business and the growth among potential new customers
- Manages and controls the cost of sales within the BU, reviewing margins, P&L and expenses identifying ways to improve bottom line
- Prepares forecasts and other monthly reports as required by Country Manager and/or headquarters
- Negotiates with key accounts in the area and promotes company products and services
- Responsible for management and sales to key integrated delivery networks / Private labs
- Responsible for management of relationships with primary contractors in relation to managed equipment service models
- Support the management of the company’s quality process including the complaint system
- Responsible for ensuring successful completion of tender documentation and submission
- Plans and coordinates trade shows and sales meetings for the area, and provides coverage from the group at national shows
- Performs other duties as the position requires and as directed by the Country General Manager
- Awareness of the Integrated Management System (covering Quality and Information Security)
• UK General Manager
• UK Financial Controller and HR Manager
• Collaborates with other BUMs to ensure a consistent approach is maintained in all
• Liaises with other BUMs when responding to multidiscipline tenders
• Collaborates with Technical Services Manager to ensure complete customer
• Collaborates with back office departments to ensure complete customer satisfaction
Minimum Knowledge & Experience required for the position:
Degree or equivalent in Science or Business or related field. A minimum of 5 years business or related experience with previous management responsibility. Proficient computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAP and other corporate tools.
- Customer dynamics (their processes, value chain…)
- IVD market
- Competitor dynamics
- Company products, solutions and services in terms of impact on the customer’s value chain (Clinical, Economical, and Organisational). Familiarity with Health Economics
- Selling techniques
- Applicable norms to tendering processes
- Excellent grasp of profitability concepts and P&L influencers
Skills & Capabilities:
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Empowers colleagues in the team
- Long term focus and planning
- Strategic mindset
- Team working
- Delivers results
- Customer focus
- Stakeholder Management (internal and external)
- Relationship management
- Negotiation capabilities
- Flexibility and adaptability to a fast-changing environment
- Takes accountability for Business Unit
- Solid business and financial acumen
- As required within the UK to fulfil the role. Approximately 30-40% of time
People Manager Core Competencies:
Planning and supporting the development of individuals’ knowledge, skills, and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job responsibilities more effectively.
Ensuring that the internal or external customer’s perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
Identifying and understanding problems and opportunities by gathering, analyzing, and interpreting quantitative and qualitative information; choosing the best course of action by establishing clear decision criteria, generating and evaluating alternatives, and making timely decisions; taking action that is consistent with available facts and constraints and optimizes probable consequences.
Driving for Results
Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals; tenaciously working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
Creating an environment (culture) that inspires people to generate novel solutions with measurable value for existing and potential customers (internal or external); encouraging experimentation with new ways to solve work problems and seize opportunities that result in unique and differentiated solutions.
Emotional Intelligence Essentials
Establishing and sustaining trusting relationships by accurately perceiving and interpreting own and others’ emotions and behavior; leveraging insights to effectively manage own responses so that one’s behavior matches one’s values and delivers intended results.
People Manager Accountabilities:
Effectively carries out the expectations of Werfen People Managers as defined in Werfen’s Role of the Manager program. Among others this includes maintaining regular, at minimum once a month, and transparent communication with the team through effective use of formal one-on-one meetings with direct reports and team meets. Managing performance issues and conflict proactively; uses judgement in consulting with department leadership and Human Resources. Responsibility for the team´s compliance in terms of training, and fulfilment of their tasks and objectives as well as onboarding of new employees and development of the existing team.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
I have read and understand the job description for my position. I agree to comply with the corporate compliance policy and all laws, rules, regulations and standards of conduct relating to my position.
I understand that this does not constitute or contain a contract or employment promise of any kind. Nothing contained herein modifies the at-will nature of my employment with Werfen.